Most skin conditions are mistakenly called 'mange' when they are actually skin allergies. Mange is not easily transmittable. The mange mites are there in ALL dogs. It's only in a rare circumstance that the immunity of the dog is compromised that there is a flare up and hair loss occurs.
The scratching is because of an allergy - most probably due to fleas. If you see the pattern of hair loss - on the tail around his eyes - it is because these are regions he can reach with his mouth and paws respectively.
What you need to do is this:
- Give him 1 tablet of Zertec or Okacet for 3 days morning evening. This will immediately reduce his itching. (human med)
- Cut his hair - use any good quality scissors to do that.
- Give him a bath with a tick & flea shampoo. This should cost you approx Rs 120-140. You can repeat the bath in 5 days. (pet shop)
- Once he is dry - spray/ apply tick and flea spray (contains Fipronil) - this is available in the market for Rs ~400 for the smaller bottle. (pet shop)
- After 5 days repeat 3 & 4
- His skin is broken and there is pus formation. Wash with clean water and soap. Then please apply Metrogyl cream (human med) on the parts where there is laceration.
- He should be complete healed in 1 week and will have normal hair growth in a month.
- The dark pigmentation on his skin is a secondary fungal infection. Wait for his itching to subside and wounds to heal then we can suggest medication for the fugal infection.
You can buy the best tick & flea treatments for immediate, long term and preventive us on in this collection https://rescuebyvosd.com/collections/grooming-hair-skin
All products are shipped the same day and come with a no questions asked money back guarantee. When you buy a VOSD product or service you support the 750+ dogs in our daily care.